A Guide to NFT Gifting on Shopify
NFT gifting is a unique way to provide added value to customers. In this guide, we'll outline the basics of NFT gifting, including how to gift NFTs, restrictions for creators on Single who are only approved to gift NFTs (not sell them) via Shopify Payments, and frequently asked questions.
What is NFT Gifting?
NFT gifting involves providing customers with non-fungible tokens (NFTs) at no cost. You can distribute NFTs as an added bonus with purchases or offer them for free using various methods:
- Bundling NFTs with a product: Including an NFT as a bonus item with a purchase.
- Retroactive distribution: Gifting NFTs to past customers which is done via Single "deliver to existing" feature.
This includes the ability to distribute the NFTs to customers by adding them as a free item in the cart or automatically including them with a purchase during checkout.
Single creators who are only approved to gift NFTs using Shopify Payments must be aware of the following restrictions:
- You cannot increase a product's price to include an NFT gift.
- You must be approved for the NFT Sales program if a product's price includes a premium/added-cost due to an NFT.
- If you want to sell NFTs or increase the price from free, you'll need to apply for NFT sales approval.
📝 Note: These restrictions do not apply if you're approved for both NFT sales and gifting on Shopify Payments or if you're using a different payment processor altogether.
Can I increase a product's price to include an NFT gift?
No, this would be considered an NFT sale, which requires NFT Sales approval from Shopify Payments.
Can I gift NFTs if a product's price includes a premium due to an NFT?
No, you must be approved for the NFT Sales if a product's price includes a premium due to an NFT.
Can I sell NFTs in addition to gifting them?
Yes, but you must re-apply or contact Shopify's team at email@example.com for approval to sell NFTs in addition to gifting them.
Can I use alternative payment gateways to sell NFTs on Shopify?
Yes, you can use PayPal and other alternative payment gateways. Unlike Shopify Payments, these do not require approval.