UPC (Universal Product Code) and ISRC (International Standard Recording Code) are vital identifiers for albums and individual music tracks, crucial for:
- Sales Tracking: Organizing and securing music sales reports and tracking across various platforms.
- Chart Eligibility: Essential for reporting to music charts like Billboard, as required by platforms such as SoundScan.
- Security: These codes aid in safeguarding against unauthorized music uploads and releases.
Finding Your Codes:
- Through a Distributor: Typically, working with a music distributor means they will supply these codes as part of their distribution services.
- Purchasing Independently: Not affiliated with a distributor? You can buy UPC codes here. For ISRC codes, you'll need to register through your country's official ISRC agency.
Things to note:
- You only need to input these codes if you want your music to be eligible for chart reporting. If you're only selling beats, stems, or other types of non-eligible content, these codes aren't necessary.
- If you need to Register your UPC with Luminate Data (formerly MRC/SoundScan)? You can do so HERE.