How to Create, Configure, and Activate a Video Rental Event on Shopify
Before you start
Make sure you meet the eligibility requirements by enabling classic customer accounts, which will allow you to create a live, video rental event in your store.
Step 1: Create Pre-Recorded Livestream Event
- Log in to your Single account.
- From the left sidebar, select Video > Rentals.
- Click "+ Setup Video Rental" and fill in the required details:
- Event Poster
- Event Title
- Artist or Creator Name
- Publish Date / Publish Time
- Rental Duration - or toggle on Unlimited. Note: Fans' access timer begins from the moment they view the video rental page.
- Click "Save" once you've filled everything in.
Note: After the live premier, the rental will stay in your shop until the replay time concludes. Keep the tickets on sale during the replay to allow viewers to purchase and watch the event for the allotted time.
Step 2: Configure Rental
- Navigate to the Configure page.
- Upload a video file that meets the specified requirements.
- Enter or modify the following following details:
- Offline thumbnail - auto defaults to a 'stay tuned' image, which you can easily replace with your own thumbnail. 16:9 aspect ratio image is recommended
- Doors settings - auto defaults to doors open, letting fans view the player, promoted products, and engage in chat up to 2 hours before the show starts
- FAQ Link - a handy reference for attendees. You can create your own or customize our template.
- Enable chat - allows viewers to communicate during the event and captures contacts for future shop offers or promotions.
- Enable countdown - builds anticipation leading up to the start of the event
Good to know: To change the uploaded file, simply click "Replace Video File" and drag the new file when prompted.
Step 3: Create Tickets
Head to the Tickets page and decide whether to create a standalone ticket or an event ticket bundled with another product in your shop. Each option will yield:
- A ticket product in Shopify — which will grant viewers access to the stream.
- A gift ticket in your Shopify admin — which Single will use to transfer tickets from one person to another when requested. Don't delete this!
Key point: Keep the gift ticket in your Shopify admin for ticket swaps. To keep things simple, don't display it on your storefront - it's not a standard ticket.
Creating a Standalone Ticket
- On the Tickets page, click "Create Standalone Ticket".
- Upload an image to feature as the ticket's product photo in Shopify.
- Name the ticket and set a price.
- Click "Save & Close".
Creating a Ticket Bundle
- On the Tickets page, click "Attach to Existing Products".
- Search for products or collections in Shopify to bundle with a ticket.
- Toggle "Managed Fulfillment" on if you've created a ticket product in your Shopify store and wish to include access to your event when that product is purchased.
- Toggle "Deliver to Existing Orders" on to automatically email a ticket to anyone who has previously purchased the product you're bundling with the ticket.
A few tips:
- Use "Managed Fulfillment" only if you've added a ticket in your Shopify store. This allows viewers to receive their digital ticket instantly. Also, avoid using this feature for physical products.
- If you have multiple variants of the product you are attaching a ticket to (e.g. different shirt sizes), select which variants you would like to include the ticket with, and then click "Add to Queue."
Step 4: Customize Ticket Delivery Email
In the Customize Ticket Delivery Email section, you can decide on the title, message, support links, and timezone for your ticket emails.
If you prefer, you can turn off white-label settings for ticket delivery emails altogether using the Disable Email Notification toggle. However, we recommend customizing it a bit to make it feel more personal!
Step 5: Activate Rental Event
Now that your video and tickets are ready, you can activate your event.
To do this, click the Activation banner at the top of the page. This action will make your pre-recorded event appear as a page in your Shopify admin.
Pro tip: Add this page to your store's navigation for easy access by fans. They can also get to the stream via their order confirmation sent by Single.